Friday, May 18, 2007

THE LAST CONFESSION

On the 9th of May, my wife and I went to Chichester. First, the Cathedral.
Leonard Bernstein wrote some beautiful music for a celebration there.
We especially enjoyed the Chagall stained glass window.

In the evening, we went to the Chichester Festival Theatre and saw THE LAST CONFESSION.

It is about the death of Pope John Paul I after only 33 days as Pope, and the election of Polish Pope John Paul II.

"Was it mere coincidence that his end came just as he was getting rid of the
reactionary heavies in the Curia who opposed the liberal outlook." Aware of
the scandals in the Vatican bank, he says, "This is the House of God, not the
House of Rothschild."

One Cardinal in the banking scandal is from Cicero, Illinois, home of Al Capone.
Pope John Paul I suggests sending him back to Cicero. He responses, "I'd rather
go to Hell." The Pope responds, "That can be arranged."

Well, the next day, the Pope is dead.
A few years later, David Suchet, playing the Cardinal who could have helped, makes his LAST CONFESSION.

I note in the programme that the last performances in Chichester are 18 & 19 May.
However, in this morning's Guardian I read that THE LAST CONFESSION is coming to to the London West End this summer.

This morning I joined the weekly group of hikers who meet in front of the parish church for a hike up up or around Denne Hill.

One of my favourite essays is WALKING by Henry Thoreau.
He writes, "Of course it is of no use to direct our steps to the woods, if they do not carry us thither. I am alarmed when it happens when I have walked a mile into the woods bodily, without getting there in spirit..."

Happy Hiking to you.

In hope, Richard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home